Individual therapy (sometimes called “psychotherapy” or “counseling”) is a process through which you work one-on-one with a trained therapist—in a safe, caring, and confidential environment—to do the following:
- Explore the thoughts, emotions, behaviors, and feelings that act as barriers to your own personal growth
- Work through challenging and influential memories
- Clarify your values and identify aspects of your life you would like to change
- Gain a better understanding of yourself and your behaviors
- Set personal goals
- Build your “toolbox” of skills that help you achieve your goals
A client and therapist may work together for as few as five or six sessions or as long as several years, depending on the client’s unique needs and personal goals for therapy.
Quad City Women’s Therapy is committed to providing excellent individual psychotherapy. I specialize in providing services to women, and those who identify as women, who are facing the unique mental health and adjustment issues that present during the reproductive and maternal years. These challenges can range from hormonal-based mood issues associated with your menstrual cycle, to coping with the stress and worry of parenting, to facing severe postpartum depression and/or anxiety, to grieving the loss of a newborn.
I view therapy as a partnership. We will begin where you want to focus and you will always remain the expert on you. My role is to bring to the room the knowledge and techniques I have studied and cultivated and to help you apply those effectively in your life to create your desired change.
I operate from an empowerment perspective and apply techniques from the following modalities tailored to your unique situation –
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy
- Narrative Therapy
- Interpersonal Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- Solution-focused Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
I work primarily with individuals and do not offer couples counseling. You may decide to invite a partner or support person to a session or two under certain circumstances. If you are seeking couples counseling then I would be happy to refer you to a qualified couples counselor.